Woody Point Details
Woody Point is a coastal residential suburb of the Moreton Bay Region at the south-east of the Redcliffe peninsula, approximately 24 kilometres (15 mi) north-northeast of Brisbane, the state capital of Queensland, Australia. It was formerly a banana plantation.
In 1799, Matthew Flinders landed on the peninsula and named the location Red Cliff Point after the colours in the cliffs. In 1823 the peninsula was selected as the site of Queensland’s first penal colony but, by 1825 the prisoners were moved further up the Brisbane River to escape the mosquitoes and the resistance from local Aboriginals. Redcliffe was once a small seaside retreat 40 km north of Brisbane. When the Hornibrook and Houghton Highways linked Brighton, an outer Brisbane suburb, to the Redcliffe peninsula, Redcliffe then became much more accessible and grew as part of Brisbane’s suburban sprawl.
Woody Point’s Apex Park & Bicentennial Park were constructed by reclaiming land along the foreshore in the 1970s.